Lons Infant School is fully committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
Parents can feel confident that carefully thought-out policies, procedures and practice are in place, underpinned by advice from the Derby and Derbyshire Safeguarding Children Partnership (previously Derbyshire Safeguarding Children Board) and taking account of guidance issued by the DfE (Government Department for Education).
Although every member of our staff team is responsible for and vigilant of the safeguarding our children, the school’s Safeguarding Team is made up of the following senior leaders and Governors:
- The Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) for child protection and safeguarding is the Headteacher, Mrs Joynes.
- The Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead (Deputy DSL) for child protection and safeguarding is Miss Cartwright.
- The Assistant Designated Safeguarding Lead (Assistant DSL) for child protection and safeguarding is Mrs Spencer.
- Mrs Joynes (SENCO) also has responsibility for child protection and safeguarding for children at school including children with Special Educational Needs and children who are a Looked After Child.
- Mrs Joynes is our Safeguarding Governor and can be contacted via the Clerk to Governors (Mrs Spencer).
- All members of the Safeguarding Team are DSL trained in accordance to the Derby and Derbyshire Safeguarding Children Partnership and all staff working within the school receive annual training in safeguarding and keeping our children safe. We work in line with the recommendations of the Derby and Derbyshire Safeguarding Children Partnership to deliver such training and outsource any training that requires specialist advice or information.
- Children will always be taken seriously if they seek help from a member of staff. It is the duty of every member of staff to record and report any concern to the Safeguarding Team. Staff who work regularly with children and families and may be asked to contribute to child protection processes, including teachers, teaching assistants and the school business manager, thus enabling us to receive a broad and clear picture that allows us to keep safe and support our children.
- Lons Infant School believes that ‘safeguarding’ covers any area of school life that may affect the safety, vulnerability or wellbeing of the children. In recognition of this, other policies relating to wider aspects of safeguarding are in place and may be requested at any time. Please see the policies section of our website or contact the school office.
- Further information can be found on the Derby and Derbyshire Safeguarding Children Partnership website: https://ddscp.org.uk/
Are you worried about a child?
If you believe that any child is in danger please contact Call Derbyshire: 01629 533190 at any time, choosing the option for urgent child protection calls or contact the police by ringing their call centre number 101 (24 hours a day).
To view our polices on Child Protection and Safeguarding, please click on the following link: Policies